Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May 13, 2013

A letter from Elder Thorpe to his home ward in Lehi, Utah

During my mission so far I have found that reading the Book of Mormon is extremely important. Its not only important for me as a missionary but for individuals and as families. Joseph Smith Said, "The Book of Mormon is the key stone to our religion." Without the Book of Mormon there is no point to our church. In other words without the Gospel of Jesus Christ we are lost! In the introduction of the Book of Mormon it says, "We invite all men everywhere to READ the Book of Mormon, To PONDER IN THEIR HEARTS the message that it contains, and to then ASK GOD, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who Pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth & divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost.
This Brings me to one of my favorite parts of the Book of Mormon. Alma 32 is on of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon. We are going to take Alma 32:28,30,37-43 and analyze them. In 28 Alma compares the word to a seed. Now I like to think of the "word" as the Book of Mormon. He says we must take that seed & plant it in our hearts. In 30  The seed begins to sprout and we recognize that the seed is a good seed, and our faith is strengthened. In 37 the seed begins to grow into a tree, and we see that we must nourish it so that it will bring forth fruit. Now if we begin to neglect the seed and we dont nourish it, it starts to whither away. We must nourish it and look forward with faith.
Now in 41 & 42 It says if you nourish the tree and have FAITH and DILLIGENCE, the tree will begin to spring forth fruit. Now my favorite verse is 43. Verse 43 says, "Then my brethren ye shall reap the rewards of your FAITH, and you DILLIGENCE, and PATIENCE, and LONG-SUFFERING, waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you.
Brothers and Sisters from my ward at home, I am so happy to be serving a mission in Juarez right now. I Love reading the Book of Mormon & sharing it with others. I would encourage you, no I challenge you that you will read the Book of Mormon daily, and I promise that if you will read it and take the words and place them in your heart and you pray about them, that your lives and your families lives will be blessed.
I know that this Church is true with all my heart. AND I KNOW THAT JESUS CHRIST LIVES. I share this with you in the name of our loving brother Jesus Christ, Amen.
-ELDER THORPE
JUAREZ MISSION

No comments:

Post a Comment