Monday, August 26, 2013

August 26th, 2013

Que dice! well this was an interesting week I was asked to speak in Church! I was asked oh about 5 min. before church started. So I had about 25 to 30 min. to prepare a talk. Now that really isn't a lot of time to prepare a 10-15 min talk (especially when you don't speak spanish very well). But I humbly accepted and went back to my seat and began to listen. I wasn't listening to the meeting, in fact I really wasn't listening at all. Instead I was praying and pleading with my Heavenly Father for HELP!!! As I prayed I listened, I listened hard. I needed help and I needed it right then and there. As I thought of what I should talk about, the impression came to me to read in Helaman 5. I read Helaman 5:12.
"
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."
I felt inspired to talk on our savior Jesus Christ. I read about how Jesus was born of a virgin mother, and how he lived a perfect life and atoned for all of our sins. I spoke that we must build our foundation on the perfect teacher, and how we can follow him by repenting, being baptized, receiving the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the end. I spoke how we can return to live with him and our Father in Heaven thanks to the Atonement. I then finished with my testimony of the Savior. I felt I had done a decent job when I had finished. Everyone afterwards kept coming up to me and telling me how good a job I did. But I almost feel like they are only saying that because my spanish is ehhh. But then I thought to my self that the Spirit is who testifies of the truth. I know I felt the Spirit when I testified of our Savior. I know that they all felt the spirit.
Afterwards also I asked Elder King how I did and he said I did good. He said that I said something funny. He said that I said that the Devil throws his taxes at us. haha.
But it's all good
I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that he appeared before Joseph Smith and through Joseph Smith he restored his Gospel once again on the Earth. I know that he lives and that he loves each and everyone of us individualy. I know that through him all mankind might be saved.
I almost forgot. I also have been sharing a story of my biggest Hero in my life. It's interesting how we have ficticious heros like Iron man, or Batman. But the biggest heros in our lives should be the people who we know and Love. One of the biggest Heros in my life apart from my mom, is my Dad. He is truely a Nephi in these later days. I say this because of Nephi 16. Nephi and his family were doing everything right living the gospel responding to the Liahona. When a trial comes up. Nephi breaks his bow. His family starts to murmur but not Nephi. Nephi acts on this trial and makes a bow of wood. This is like my biggest Hero with his MS. My dad got this disease unexpectedly. But what he did is what amazes me. He acted on this trial. And he continues to act. He is my inspiration and I want to grow up to be like him.

Elder Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment